Most of people like to spend more time outdoors and warm weather makes it very easy but it also brings out the bugs. A bug is an insect of the order Hemiptera. It is also known as the “true bugs”. Bugs are type of insects as they have three body parts (head, thorax and abdomen) and six legs. People can easily be attacked by those neighbor insects that live quite peacefully at every corner of their home. A Bug bite flourishes some symptoms that are annoying. The symptoms include itchy, red swollen bumps on the skin and all this symptoms are all-too-familiar summer sign. Bug bites sometime cause allergic reactions and symptoms may be worsened. So, for the healthy skin care, bug bite treatment is an important element. Here are some home remedies for bug bite itch relief.
In fact, bed bug bite is an allergic reaction to the chemicals which are released by bugs on biting a person and everyone not suffers from itches when bed bugs bite. Though bed bug bites do not spread any disease, a few cases of cases of bug bites have been reported with serious health hazards to the sufferer. However, those cases have really been very rare. You need to visit a doctor instantly if you do suffer from any other symptoms. About the itch, the first thing you need to remember is that you should not scratch it. You can rinse the affected area with soap and water and apply ice on it as first aid. Rinsing will disinfect the skin and ice will help to relief from the itch.
Symptoms of Bug Bite:
The main symptoms of bug bite include.
- Bed bugs can bite any where on the body, on face, neck and hands etc.
- Signs of allergic reaction including sneezing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, wheezing, hives, sudden anxiety, dizziness, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, and itching or swelling of the eyes, lips, or other areas of the face and anaphylaxis, a severe life-threatening allergic reaction.
- Symptoms of Lyme disease like fever, fatigue, headaches, and a skin rash that looks like a circular red patch, or “bull’s-eye.”
- Symptoms of West Nile virus including fever, headache, body aches, and skin rash
- Symptoms of Rocky Mountain spotted fever may include fever, nausea, vomiting, severe headache, muscle pain, and lack of appetite.
Home Remedies for Bug Bite Itch Relief:
Bug bite treatment and prevention is extremely important as they may also carry viruses such as West Nile, Malaria, Lyme disease, Dengue fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Encephalitis, and Rickettsial disease among others.
- Apply tea tree oil or lavender oil directly on the site of the bite of the bug. They are believed to relieve the itching within few minutes after the application.
- For the itch relief of bug bite, emu oil is also helpful. On the bug bite area, apply emu oil to get relief from the itching.
- Rinse the area of the itchy skin, with water and a medicated soap so that germs and other allergy provoking substances are eliminated and can not invade the skin through the rupture.
- Massaging of alcohol will also help to relieve the itch of the bug bite.
- Prepare a paste of baking soda and salt. Apply this paste right on the itching area. The paste of baking soda will flake and fall off after drying out.
- You can also use calamine lotion for application on skin. This lotion has a soothing effect on inflammation and itching and would help in treatment of itch due to bed bug bites.
- Use cold water on the bite- spot and you are sure to watch that the swollen part is slowly subsiding.
- Also, you can apply ice immediately after the bite. The ice is ready to sooth the inflammation and itching cause because of bed bug. Try to press the cube of the ice on the spot and watch its miraculous effect. Compress the site of itching with the ice-pack a number of time and feel comfort.
- Apply aloe-vera gel or pulp obtained from the plant or Vitamin E oil to the affected area for the relief from itch.
- In the same way, you can also use the powdered oatmeal as a paste. Pour oatmeal powder in warm water and prepare a thick paste. Apply this paste on the affected area two or three times a day to have the desired result.
- Applying the juice of onion or garlic or rubbing these on the bites will also ease the itch.
- Rose water and sandalwood are also soothing products. Make a paste using both these ingredients and apply it on the affected skin.
- Mint is also a great remedy to treat bug bites and itches. You can massage mint on the bites or draw a bath with peppermint oil added to it and soak in it. Similarly, if you add apple cider vinegar to your bath, it will also help to get rid of the itch. Vinegar will also disinfect the skin.
After relieving from the itch and bites, you need to disinfect your infested clothes by washing them in hot water to control the bed bugs growth. Also, you can keep your furniture, bedding, carpets or any other infected objects at home under the hot sun to kill the bed bugs. To disinfect the furniture and bedding, kerosene use is also an option but it increases quite a stink and can affect your skin adversely.
To keep bugs away,
- Avoid wooded, brushy, and grassy areas when possible.
- Don’t wear heavily scented soaps and perfumes.
- Use structural barriers such as window screens and netting.
- Tuck pant legs into socks or shoes.
- Wear a hat for extra protection.
- Wear long sleeves and long pants when possible.
- Use caution eating outside and drinking; don’t leave drinks and garbage cans uncovered.
- Use insect repellent if nonchemical methods are ineffective and you spend time in tall grass and woody areas.
- Treat camping gear, clothes, and shoes with permethrin, which repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes, and other insects. Clothing that is pre-treated with permethrin is also commercially available.
- Get rid of containers with standing water that give mosquitoes a breeding ground. Examples include water in flowerpots and outdoor pet dishes.