Hiccups may not be a great physical problem but sometimes proven to be annoying and tedious as people do not have any control over them.
Hiccup is a reflex action in which ‘hic’ sound come from the aperture and closing of the mucous membrane attaching to the larynx. Hiccups start from the diaphragm, the main breathing muscle under the lungs. In hiccup condition, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle takes place which results in sucking the air rapidly into the lungs thereby snapping and shutting glottis above the voice-box (larynx). Hiccup sound starts due to snapping. Hiccups may exist for few minutes or may take more than a day or week. If hiccup continue for more than a day, it is disquieting and may highlight a sign of another severe disease, which needs medical attention. Hiccup condition is known as hikka in ayurveda. When the diaphragm muscles are inflamed, breathing problem takes place and so the breath move in a bouncy way and it creates a sound that is known as hiccups.
Causes of Hiccups:
- Overstretching the neck
- Intake of hot and spicy food
- Liver cancer or hepatitis
- Smoking and drinking excessive alcohol
- Pregnancy or bladder irritation
- Bloating, tumor or infection
- Irritation of the eardrum
- Lungs infection
- Stomach problem
Symptoms of Hiccups:
- Contraction of diaphragm
- Constant ‘hic’ sound from the throat
- Hiccupping of a fetus in the womb – pregnant women can habitually feel or hear the fetus hiccupping
- Recurring cough-like sound
Treatment of Hiccups:
Home remedies for Hiccups:
Mix half tablespoon of cardamom powder in a glass of water and allow the mixture to boil, till water become half. Then, cool down the mixture and drink it slowly. This remedy for hiccup sooths the irritation caused in the diaphragm and hiccup stops.
Sugar is the best remedy for hiccups. Take one tablespoon of sugar and swallow it slowly when hiccup takes place. It is one of the most common remedies adopted all over the world.
Combine two teaspoon of baking soda, two teaspoonfuls of aromatic spirits of ammonia and four ounces of peppermint water. Take one tablespoon of this mixture when hiccup takes place and repeats it if necessary.
Eat small pieces of ginger when hiccup continues.
Curd with salt:
Eating half bowl of curd by adding 1-2 tablespoon of salt is good home remedy for hiccup.
Put ice over the diaphragm muscle and speedily drink ice water.
Some other home remedies for hiccups:
- Simply close your eyes and hold your breath. Wait for few seconds and then exhale. This too shows fast effect.
- Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Press your eyeballs gently, while keeping mouth and ear close.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth, such that air should neither come out nor go in from them. Take a long breath after some time.
- Close your ears with your fingers, and drink water directly or through straw. It has an instant effect on treating hiccups.
- Also, try to laugh and speak louder so that the irritation in the diaphragm stays relax and hiccup stop.
- Drink some chamomile tea that has been sheered for at least half an hour. The muscle relaxant properties of chamomile work to ease the contractions in your diaphragm that are causing the hiccups.
- Gargling with lukewarm water is also one of the best remedy to cure hiccups.
- Inhale small quantity of black pepper powder. This will result in sneezing which is a violent movement of respiratory tract. Hence, put it at an end to hiccups.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of clarified butter to 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and swallow this mixture. This natural remedy for hiccups is effective in stopping hiccups immediately.
- Cover your ears and then without giving gap to respire drink water in fast swallows. This is one of the common and effective home remedy for hiccups.
- Drink pineapple juice. It is also a common home remedy for hiccups.
- Some people have a myth that chewing gigantic bite of food during hiccup prevents it safely. This however is a myth as speed eating of food without chewing is one of the root causes of hiccup.
Some advice for Hiccups:
- Drink a glass of cold water
- Avoid over eating
- Avoid hot and spicy food
- Gargle with water
What Are Hiccups? video from Youtube:
Natural Home Remedies : Home Remedy for the Hiccups video from Youtube: