Very common problem in older people is painless swelling of the feet and ankles which might affect both legs and comprise the calves or even the thighs. Swelling is obvious in these places due to the result of gravity. Learn foot and ankle swelling causes and treatment from the following article.
Swollen ankles, feet and legs medically known as edema, takes place when fluid is retained in the gaps between the body cells. The fluid is pulled by the gravity to feet and ankles causing them to swell. Different names of foot and ankle swelling are Ankle swelling, Foot swelling, Leg swelling, Edema – peripheral and Peripheral edema. Foot and ankle swelling is linked with aging but can be caused by many other conditions comprising congestive heart failure, trauma, alcoholism, altitude sickness, pregnancy, hypertension or merely long periods of time sitting or standing without moving.
Permanent damage to nerves can be caused by severe swelling resulting in peripheral neuropathy. Primary stages of edema include symptoms such as swelling in ankles and feet but later in the day that will begin increasing as the day progresses. Pitting will also experienced by the person suffering from edema. Long time swelling in foot and ankle will lead to skin ulceration. By following some easy steps the swollen feet and ankles can be treated at home.
Causes of Ankle Swelling and Pain in Foot:
The most common cause of swollen ankles is traumatic injury like ankle sprain, a broken ankle, stress fractures around the ankle joint, twisted ankle, ruptured blood vessel etc. Extreme blood circulation in the ankle region is caused by these traumatic injuries to speed up the healing process. Sometimes even delicate injuries can also lead to ankle swelling.
Gout is a medical condition that is causes because of the accumulation of uric acid crystals within the fluid of ankle joints. Uric acid is produced by our body to digest food properly and to transports the waste material. People suffering with gout abnormally collect uric acid crystals within joints resulting in inflammation and swelling in the ankles and the whole leg.
Ankle arthritis is much less common disease that can cause swelling in ankle. Patients already suffering with rheumatoid arthritis or in patients with a previous injury to the ankle joint are prone to get affected with ankle arthritis.
Ankle infections are the common cause of ankle swelling. Infections occur to the soft tissues around the ankle joint (cellulitis) or in the joint itself (septic joint) can cause ankle swelling. With correct medications these infections can be treated but intricate cases may demand surgeries to avoid the problem of ankle swelling.
There can be numerous problems with blood flow can create problem in the normal blood circulation within the ankle region and lead to swelling around the ankles. Common most causes of vascular obstruction are a blood clot also recognized as a DVT that can appear in one of the legs and leads to swelling of the soft-tissues throughout the foot and ankle. If initial symptoms is neglected the swelling can also extend further up the leg.
Peripheral edema also related with the blood circulation within the ankle region but it is seen in both legs. Lower extremity peripheral edema can be because of aging of blood vessels leading to chronic swelling and other conditions that can place pressure on the leg veins are pregnancy, obesity, and varicose veins.
Swollen Ankles Treatment:
Treatment for swollen ankles depends on the identified causes of the condition. Learn different Treatment options including home remedies to know how to cure swollen ankles and feet naturally.
- For every half hour apply ice pack on the swelling for 10-15 minutes and carry on this procedure for 2 more days.
- While sleeping, use a leg wedge so that the legs are lifted over the level of the body.
- Leg exercises should be done as they will stop accumulation of fluids in the legs by pumping them to the heart.
- Take a low salt diet which may reduce the amount of salt in body resulting in lesser fluid retention and swelling.
- Certain drugs can also cause swelling so get your prescription checked by the physician for calcium channel blockers.
- Take regular walks as it will prevent fluid accumulation around the feet and ankles.
- Wear support stockings that are sold at most drug and medical supply stores.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Clothes that are fit tightly around the hips and legs must be avoided.
- Avoid standing in place for long period of time.
- Lose excess weight as it slows circulation of body fluids and puts extra pressure on your veins.
- Sitting with the feet dependent should be avoided.
- Don’t abuse diuretics but a short-term course may be helpful.
- Contraceptive pills and hormone replacement therapy should be avoided if possible.
Relief from Ankle Edema, Leg Edema, & Swollen Feet (Youtube video):