The most common ailment in the form of a sore throat is not as serious as any other problem. It is usually easily cured. It is characterized by the inflammation of the pharynx leading to increasing discomfort, pain and itchiness in the throat. In certain cases, it is contagious and can be spread through coughing or sneezing. It is usually a symptom for another major health issue rather than a disease itself. It is an indication of the onset of general sickness in humans like fever. It is generally associated with bacterial or viral infections. It hits you without a warning and brings about a feeling of overall weakness of the body.
Ways to Get Rid of a Sore Throat :
If your sore throat persists for more than 3-5 days and is accompanied by recurring headache, vomiting, general weakness, rash and swelling you must immediately contact your local physician. On the other hand, if it is not that severe all you have to do is follow these basic home remedies that would help you gain relief from this condition.
- Consume boiled liquids while they are hot and also hot soup. This relieves the sore throat and also provides nutrition.
- Drink a glass of lemon tea mixed with honey.
- A concoction of ginger lemon also works effectively.
- A very traditional method of healing the pain from sore throat is gargling with salty warm water.
- Cut a lemon into half and roast it on a stove fire until it turns golden brown. Squeeze out the lemon juice and mix it with 1 spoon of honey and drink the mixture.
- Avoid drinking refrigerated or tap water and consume warm water at all times during the span this throat infection.
- Add salt to lemon juice and consume it.
- Make a good hot cup of tea. You can add ingredients like ginger, honey, lemon, basil individually to the hot beverage depending on their availability.
- Bring apple juice to a boil and drink it.
- Consume warm orange juice with two spoonfuls of honey added into it.
- Avoid eating foods with excessive sugar. Sugar tends to irritate the throat.
- Consuming honey itself is also proven to be effective.
- You may also want to try gargling your throat with a mixture of cayenne pepper and water 3-5 times a day.
- Another effective remedy is the use of mango bark with water. It also is known to relieve sore throat.
- Mix one spoon of turmeric powder with water or warm milk and gulp it down your throat. It has healing properties against sore throat as well.
- Taking a hot shower helps to an extent and you tend to feel better.
- Once the conditions have turned mild try to sit up straight this will avoid congestion.
- There are many medications available in your local drug store for sore throats, make sure you consume them under medical supervision.
- Another great way of getting rid of sore throats is to use steam vaporizers or evaporative humidifiers where you inhale steam.
However, if you have some pre-existing medical conditions before trying on these home remedies you need to consult your physician. For instance, if you have just had your tonsils removed, the use of lemon may cause severe pain. Also mixing too much salt for removing the mucus from the throat may adversely cause dehydration in the body. Take utmost care of your health and try to prevent ailments rather than curing them.