In the hair of children between the ages 3-10, head lice are mainly found. They are transmittable and spread very easily by head to head contact. It is also spread by using the personal things of infected person such as comb, hair brush, towels, bed linen, etc. Any specific diseases are not carried by head lice but they are extremely irritating to the person suffering from it. The lice run around on the scalp and cause continual itching which is problematic and distracting. If you want to get rid of lice, read the following article, there are remedies for head lice removal.
Head lice are white wingless insects that exist on human scalp. The scientific name for head louse is Pediculus humanus capitis. Generally they are white in color but they turn brown or red in after feeding the blood. They cannot fly or jump. They cannot survive more than 24 hours off the scalp. Clean hair is preferred by Lice as their nits can stick to cleaner hair better than oily hair.
Lice eggs glued to the hair shaft and can be found about ½ an inch above the scalp. A person has as many as a dozen living lice on the scalp, if he is infected with head lice one time. Daily they lay 6-7 eggs to reproduce, spreading more and more lice. These eggs hatch in 7 – 10 days and the lice take 8 – 9 days to mature and begin laying eggs again. Lice can survive and thrive because of their small size, and the fast cycle of maturity and reproduction. The most common symptom is continual itching of the scalp particularly around the ears, back of the neck and crown. There are many products to treat this problem but all of those are pesticides and are harmful to the health.
Home Remedies for Head lice Removal:
Mayonnaise and Vinegar:
One of the Natural Lice Treatment is to Apply mayonnaise to the hair and scalp and cover the hair with a shower cap. Leave this on for at least 4-5 hours. This ensures that the lice smother and die. Then they fall into the shower cap. Wash the hair with vinegar. Repeat this process after 7-10 days. Do this for at least 3 or 4 times to make sure the lice have disappeared completely.
Lime Juice and Garlic Paste:
For At Home Lice Treatment Mix 1 teaspoon of both lime juice and garlic paste. Apply it to the scalp and Leave for at least 30 minutes. Then wash the hair. Repeat this process after 7-10 days. Do this for at least 3-4 times to make sure the lice have disappeared completely.
Basil and margosa leaves:
Basil and margosa leaves serve as excellent remedy. The leaves can be crushed to form a paste and then apply on the scalp for about half an hour to heal the ailment. Basil and margosa (neem) leaves can either be used separately or collectively.
Vinegar and water:
Take vinegar and water in a ratio of 1:2. Apply it to the scalp and wait for ten minutes and then comb the hair thoroughly with a nit comb to remove head lice. Continue this therapy twice a week until the problem is cured.
Take a raw custard apple. Grind it into powder, with the seeds. Keep this powder stored in an airtight box. In the night before going to bed, apply this powder on the scalp, and tie the head with a cloth bandage. This will eradicate the lice and nits from the head. In the morning have a good bath to wash away the lice.
Almond and lemon:
Soak 10-12 almonds overnight and grind them in the morning. Add three to four tablespoons of lemon juice in it and apply the mixture on the scalp for about one or two hours. Finally, wash it off with cold water.
Neem and coconut oil:
In a glass bottle keep three to four leaves of the neem in about 100 milliliters of coconut oil. Keep the bottle covered so that the essences of the neem leaves get properly exuded in the coconut oil. Apply this oil on the scalp regularly and then comb the hair with a strong comb.
Baby oil and vinegar:
Rub a solution of baby oil and vinegar in equal proportions on the scalp and apply on hair thoroughly. Cover the head with a shower cap for 1 hour and then wash with normal shampoo.
Chop an apple into small pieces. Apply these pieces into the scalp with a strong massaging action for about 20 to 25 minutes. Do this once in a day for three days.
Coconut oil and camphor:
Take freshly coconut oil and add some powder of the camphor in it. Apply this on the head every night. Wash the hair with a good quality shampoo in the morning. Continue this remedy for four days.
- Mix regular shampoo with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil. Apply this into the hair and leave on for half an hour with a tight-fitting shower cap.
- Grind the seed of a shareefa and apply it on the scalp. Keep it on the head for two hours. Then wash the scalp.
- Rub Vaseline on the scalp and apply on hair thoroughly. Vaseline will suffocate them. It may need about 6 washes. Some corn flour may be rubbed into the hair before washing the hair.
- Mix 20 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil, 20 drops of tea tree oil, 10 drops aniseed essential oil, 10 drops lemon oil in about 75 ml olive oil. Apply it to hair and leave it for an hour.
- Rub shaving cream on the scalp and apply a thick foam coating on hair for half an hour. The chemicals in the cream will kill the lice and eggs.
- Mix 10-15 drops of tea tree oil into a bottle of normal shampoo and shampoo the hair.
- Mix neem leaves, basil leaves and 8-10 cloves and grind to make a thick paste using beer.
- Massage the scalp with onion juice for about 3-4 hours and finally wash the hair. Follow this treatment for at least three days.
- Apply of olive oil on the scalp for overnight. Do this after every ten days. Mayonnaise oil, coconut oil and tea tree oil are also beneficial in this regard.
- Rub Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash. Listerine contains essential oils such as eucalyptol, thymol, menthol and methyl salicylate and alcohol, which may kill lice.
- Dissolve five grams of alum in 1 bucket of water. Rinse the hairs with this water and dry it. Take precaution the water does not come in contact with eyes.
- Make a solution by mixing 5 drops of Citrus essential oil, 10 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil, 10 drops of Geranium essential oil, 20 drops of Lavender essential oil, 20 drops of Rosemary essential oil, 5 drops of Tea tree oil essential oil, and 100 ml Vegetable oil. Apply on dry hair and cover for 2-3 hours.
- To remove nits, specially designed nit combs made from the bone or ivory is available in the stores.
- Apply paste of bitter almonds on the scalp.
- Make a concoction of olive oil, tea tree shampoo, sweet almond oil, coconut oil and then some tea tree oil. Apply on hair for one hour and rinse in water and hot air dry, then shampoo.
- Soak the hair well with tobacco paste and cover with a cloth for 1 hour.
- Go for Cetaphil Lice Treatment, instead of using any shampoo. It is safe to treat head lice with Cetaphil.
Prevention of head lice:
- Personal items like combs, brushes, clips, hair bands, hats, scarves, coats, brushes or towels should not be shared.
- Never touch head to head with any person.
- Wash all the clothes after you visit to a hair dresser.
- Brushes and combs should be soaked in hot water or alcohol for 15 minutes.
- Never try on hats or any headwear while at a shop. This way you put yourself at risk of contracting lice.
- If nits are found wash bedding linen, pillows, towels, coats, scarves, hats, brushes, combs, etc. in hot water with tea tree oil or dettol added.
- To prevent the spread of head lice, if any family member is infected, treat all members of the family at the same time.
- Check the child’s hair behind and above the ears and on the back of the neck carefully every day. If nits are found, start using head lice home remedy immediately.
Getting Rid of Head Lice Naturally (Youtube video):