Whooping cough is a bacterial infection and natural home remedies are safer and more preferred method to treat it. Refer here various natural remedies for whooping cough treatment.
Whooping cough is an infectious disease in which severe bouts of coughing takes place that end in a somewhat “whooping” sound during inhalation and so the name of the condition. It is a serious bacterial infection of the lungs which is also known as Pertussis as it is caused by a bacterium Bordetella pertussis. More commonly, the disease affects infants and children up to five years of age. The disease is very infectious and generally escorted by coughing with little or no fever that becomes more severe as the day passes. Severe condition of coughing may lead to vomiting and aspiration. Whooping cough can cause serious trouble in the lungs and can spread from one person to other.
Bacterial infection, whooping cough affects the respiratory passages such as the nose, throat and the lungs. The bacteria which responsible for the infection will line the breathing passages of the person affected with whooping cough. Whooping causes the person to have long periods of coughing accompanied by a purple or bluish face, mucus in the lungs, vomiting and anxiety. The condition can be dangerous, particularly in young children and the elderly, and should be treated by a medical profession. But, a few natural medicines can help to shorten a bout of whooping cough and also help you to manage the symptoms.
Whooping cough may leave the person with labored inhalation and breathless. The uncontrollable coughing may cause blockage of spells or vomiting which has been related with a high mortality rate, especially in infants. Consequently, a vaccine came out in 1976 to decrease the annual number of deaths to a great extent. If the affected individual is not vaccinated or the disease takes place even after vaccination, the antibiotics are usually recommended. Natural home remedies are safer and more preferred method of treatment for Whooping Cough, also they are cheap and easily available in the kitchen.
Causes of Whooping Cough:
Mainly, whooping cough is caused by the microorganisms Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis. Bordetella pertussis is responsible for more severe infections. The disease is very infectious and spreads by droplet spray.
Broncho-pneumonia and infection of middle ear:
Broncho-pneumonia and infection of the middle ear are the serious complications of whooping cough and convulsions may also take place in severe cases.
- Adino-viruses, respiratory viruses and Para-influenza are some conditions which can also affect whooping cough.
- Sometimes, the condition is also occurred as a result of wrong feeding habits with refined and de-mineralized foods and absence of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Symptoms of Whooping Cough:
Whooping cough symptoms can appear with in 3-12 days of being exposed to the infection. Early symptoms of whooping cough are mild and resemble the common cold and so they are frequently misses. Sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, red watery eyes, loss of appetite and a dry cough are early symptoms. The symptoms are much more severe and resemble bronchitis in adults. Frequent coughing attacks result in a large amount of thick phlegm and end with a loud whooping sound during inhalation. Bulging eyes, discoloration in the face or vomiting are the symptoms of severe coughing attacks in ill person. Fatigue can be resulted as a later symptom due to the severity of the coughing attacks.
The vaccination wears off after childhood and so adults who have vaccination early in childhood are also vulnerable to being infected with whooping cough. Infants under 6months of age are also vulnerable since the vaccination is not full complete until you have had three doses. Severe or even life-threatening symptoms and complications that caused by whooping cough are higher in children under the age of two. Usually, much milder cases of whooping cough are reported in adults and teens. In children 2 years old and younger, severe complications can include slow or stopped breathing, pneumonia, dehydration, ear infections, hernia or an injury to the chest wall (a result of hard coughing) or even seizures or brain damage.
If you suffer from any symptoms of whooping cough, take rest as it will help to fight off the illness. Consume lot of fluids such as juices, water and soup broth. Also, you should try to keep the air you breathe cleaner by not smoking or even investing in an air purifier.
Natural Remedies for Whooping Cough:
Refer to Whooping cough natural remedies for effective treatment.
Garlic is the most effective remedy for whooping cough. The garlic juice extracted from the garlic is very effective. The garlic juice should be given to the person affected in doses of five drops to a teaspoon, two or three times a day. If the constant coughing is more severe or persistent, a doctor may recommend that the garlic syrup be given more often.
Ginger is also advantageous to treat whooping cough. Prepare 1 cup of Fenugreek decoction by boiling 1 tsp of Fenugreek seeds in 250 ml water. Then, add 1 tsp of fresh ginger juice and some honey (for taste) to it. Take this mixture several times a day to treat whooping cough.
Similarly, almond oil is also valuable to treat whooping cough. Mix 5-6 drops of almond oil with ten drops each of fresh white onion juice and ginger juice and take this mixture thrice daily for a fortnight. It will provide relief from whooping cough.
You can also prepare a cough syrup by mixing a teaspoon of fresh radish juice with an equal quantity of honey and small amount of rock salt. It should be given roughly three times a day. It can be beneficial to those who suffer from the cough.
Take 1 tablespoon of mixture containing 1 tablespoon carrot juice and little amount of honey and warm water which is very beneficial for treating whooping cough.
Calamus is another valuable herb to treat whooping cough. Take a pinch of the powder of the roasted herb with a teaspoon of honey. It prevents severe bouts of coughing and also acts as antispasmodic. The dose must be proportionately smaller for smaller children.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of honey, 1/4 tablespoon of turmeric powder and mix them properly. Take this mixture, 1 tablespoon each day.
- Prepare a cough syrup by mixing onion juice with honey. Let it remain for 3-4 hours. Take 1 teaspoon of it daily.
- Drink lots and lots of water everyday, 10-12 glasses of water are must for a normal person.
- Mix few drops of eucalyptus to a carrier oil and massage it on chest.
- Epsom salt baths and cold packs over the throat and chest are soothing and also help to relieve pain.
- Boil 4 cups of water and add 1 tbsp. of osha root and 1 tbsp. of marshmallow root. Allow the mixture to steep covered and off heat for at least 20 minutes. Swallow one cup of this soothing tea at least three times a day to help expel mucus and limit coughing attacks that caused by whooping cough.
- Combine 1 tbsp. of raw honey into 1 cup of fresh grape juice and swallow two or three times a day to help treat whooping cough. Grapes are a natural expectorant and will help to remove mucus in the lungs, while honey has natural antibacterial properties that can help to treat the bacterial infection that causes pertussis.
- All fruit diet help to combat whooping cough as fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals that the body needs to heal. Also, they are easy to digest and will help the body to remove toxins and bacteria present due to pertussis.
- Prepare a natural cough medicine by grinding 7 tbsp. of raisins and placing them in a small saucepan. Then, add 7 tbsp. of honey and cover the mixture with water. Boil the raisins and honey until it acquires a thick sauce-like consistency. Store this mixture in an airtight jar in the refrigerator and take 1 tbsp. each night before going to bed.
- You can also take slippery elm throat lozenges as often as necessary which help to soothe a painful cough. Slippery elm lozenges are readily available in most health food stores and frequently contain licorice root as well.
Diet for Whooping Cough:
Intake of an all fruit diet is necessary until all the serious symptoms subside. Fruits help to decrease the infection as they build immunity. Oranges and grapes fruit juices are also helpful. Regular consumption of turmeric powder is highly advantageous in dealing with bacterial diseases that result in infections. Avoid exposure to cold and moisture as an important preventive measure because these factors tend to worsen the symptoms.
Whooping cough prevention information (Video from Youtube):