The groin is that region of the body that lies at the intersection on the body where the abdomen ends and the legs start. The pain caused in this region is referred to as a groin pain which occurs both in men and women. There are various causes for this peculiar pain and they can both arise due to factors that are internal as well as external. This pain could be severe or not so serious. When it is mild it heals on its own but when the pain is extreme immediate medical attention is required.
Causes of Groin Pain in Women (Female Groin Pain) :
Following are the causes of groin pain in women:
- A physical assault directed right at the groin region may be the cause of an external pain in the groin area. Either an accidental high impact fall that is directed towards the groin area or the reception of a direct blow to the spot can cause severe pain.
- In case of athletes, an extreme stretch of the legs with a lot of strain accompanied with it may cause a sprain in the groin that may lead to severe pain. These muscles that are under stress during the stretch are known as adductors and their injury is most common in sprinters.
- It is also caused by the inflammation of osteitis pubis which is the cartilage that joins the front bones of the pelvis.
- Tearing of any muscle near the hip joint may also lead to groin pains in right side or left side.
- Pregnancy is the major event which is characterized by severe groin pains. The process of giving birth to a child is accompanied with a lot of hormonal imbalance. This in turn affects the normal functioning of the pelvic joints and makes it dormant. Groin pains are caused during various phases of pregnancy. Some women face pain in the lower back, genital area, upper thighs and hip joints.
- Overtly stretched muscles and stressed ligaments or the tendon fibers may also cause female groin pain.
- In the event of kidney disorders like kidney stones the passage of the stones through the ureter could also cause pain in the groin.
- Bacterial infections in the genitals can occur and may lead to appearance of swellings and lumps in the crotch area causing severe pain.
- Swollen lymph nodes at the genital region may also cause the female groin pain.
- Genital herpes which is a sexually transmitted viral infection is also another cause of groin pains.
- Patients with urinary tract infection are also victims to groin pains and it is most frequent in women than men.
- Pains developed in the hip joints caused by hip conditions like arthritis, trochanteric bursitis, snapping hip syndrome, fracture to the hip joint caused by physical injury or stressful physical exercise are also major causes of groin pains.
- Other causes of groin pains are ischemia, spasm, inflammation or infection of large intestine.
- Specific problems of the pelvic region like an ovarian cyst, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and ectopic pregnancy also lead to groin pains.
- Severe back pain and spine injuries also cause these pains.
Using Groin Straps to Relieve Pain:
You can use any of these following groin straps which are specially designed to tighten thegroin muscle to relieve pain.
Specific drugs and medications are available to treat Female groin pain. The treatment varies according to the results of various tests performed during the diagnosis. For pulls and strains of the nearby muscles complete rest is advised along with application of ice in that area of right side or left side to reduce swelling. An anti inflammatory supplement can also be taken. You can also refer to several home remedies for groin pain in women.