Tax disc renewal process is one of the odd jobs that no one likes, but now it is made easy by www.direct.gov.uk tax disk. You can do tax disc renewal online at Sorn (Statutory Off Road Notification) site from www.direct.gov.uk tax disk. Now you can pay for your tax disc (UK vehicle license) online or by phone.
You should get a ‘Vehicle License Application/SORN’ (V11 reminder) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), on three weeks before your tax disc runs out. To renew your tax online, by phone, by post or in person use the V11 reminder. Recently, DVLA has set up this new service to make things more expedient for Britain’s drivers. It is very simple, just go to the website at www.direct.gov.uk tax disk or call the DVLA vehicle license renewal on 0870 850 4444.
What is Sorn?
As per law, Sorn means that, when a keeper of a vehicle does not tax a vehicle since it is not being used or kept on a public road, DVLA must be told. Sorn is covered by the legislation the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002. Before the 12 months have expired, a Sorn is valid unless you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.
Tax disc renewal reminder (V11):
DVLA has issued the renewal reminder (V11) prior to the expiry date of a tax disc or Sorn declaration. On front of the V11 renewal reminder, the reference number is a unique number that can be found.
Tax your vehicle online or by phone if you: (link)
- contain a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) or Registration Certificate (V5C)
- are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are updated at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- have a debit or credit card – a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card, there’s no charge for using a debit card
- have valid insurance covering the use of the vehicle on the day the tax disc comes into force
- hold a valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) which is valid when the tax disc comes into force
- contain a valid DLA404 if you’re entitled to disability exemption
- You can renew your tax any day from the 5th day of the month. Now there is an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc, if you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month. The exemption only applies if applications are made previous to the current tax disc or Sorn expires.
Tax or Sorn your vehicle online: [link]
Use the DVLA online service to tax or Sorn your vehicle here.
How to tax your vehicle?
- Taxing your vehicle: With a reminder V11 (or V85/1) or without a reminder V10 (or V85)
- Cost of vehicle tax: Determine the cost of vehicle tax (car tax)
- Insurance and MOT: Cover, due dates and certificates
- Taxing in the disabled tax class: Tax your car using your disabled tax exemption certificate
- How to apply for a duplicate tax disc: Acquire a replacement tax disc
- Applying for a refund of vehicle tax: Assert a refund with or without a tax disc
- Vehicle tax expires while you are abroad
- Exchange a tax disc
- Car tax rules
Contact details: [link]
Telephone and Internet Tax Disc Application or Sorn Declaration Enquiries:
Phone: 0870 850 4444
Textphone: 0870 850 4445
An advisor will help you:
Monday to Friday: 8.00am – 8.30pm
Saturday: 8.00am – 5.30pm